Monday, January 31, 2005

The Recipe Book

The Recipe Book is a great little invention. I didn't invent it. It may have been the magazine Real Simple or my wise friend Joy Stahley, both of whom are cool. But the concept is simple, and you, too, could have your own recipe book. All you need is a 3-ring binder, some plastic pages and dividers, and a little creativity.

Take all of your recipes from your recipe box. If you're me, that means there are about 20 cards, and you've only used about 5 of them. Then, sort through ALL of your magazines (if you're me, that's 4 years worth) and cut out all of the recipes you've tried or you want to try. Sort the recipes into categories. I chose: Main Course, Sides, Desserts, Appetizer/Party, and Misc, but if you're a major cooker (get it, Lara?), you may want a lot more categories than that. Then, you put the recipes onto colored paper and slip the paper into the plastic pages. If you have recipe cards that are written on the front and back, skip the colored paper and slip them directly into a plastic page with several other front/back cards (in the same category, of course) and if you place them just so (I recommend taping them so they don't slip), you can see both sides of the card (because the plastic is clear, silly).

Then, put all the pages in the binder after the appropriate divider. As the finishing touch, make a cute cover page for the front of the binder. You scrapbookers could go wild on this project!

My advice would be to get a binder with pockets and dividers with pockets, too. Then you can slip recipes in the pockets when you get them but just assemble pages when you have time. And Real Simple recommends doing something with colored dots, but I didn't understand and I am not THAT organized.

That was my Sunday project as I watched a MST3K DVD I got for Christmas. Yay for me getting rid of clutter and getting organized.

2 comments:

lalachan said...

Way to Ann in getting your recipes organized. The key is keeping it maintained...I haven't maintained my recipes...but the clear plastic pages are good because you can spill on it and it doesn't ruin the recipe.

Anonymous said...

Ok...dear daughter, Ann. I'm inspired!!! I've been needing to go through my recipes...the old box is stuffed so full, so the first thing will be to sort through & throw away ones never used or any duplicates (yes, I have some that are quite similar...why??) Then there is a box of those clipped from magazines to try SOMEDAY. Check in with me to see how I'm doing with this, but not for a couple of weeks:) I've even started to go through some overload of "stuff" in some drawers of files...mostly old papers which serve no purpose anymore...but at one time (years ago!) it was important to save. You must be my organization/declutter inspiration!!! Love ya'