Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Apartment Hunting

So, my friend Jillian and I went looking for Spokane apartments for ourselves today. Neither of us has a job but we both wanted to know what was available in case we end up living here. I learned that rent has gone up a TON since I last rented. In 1997, my roommates and I had a nearly new 3 bedroom, 2 bath, with washer/dryer for only $755 a month. A similar 1 bedroom is around $650 a month. I realize I don't live in SF anymore, but I think Spokane and SF have similar cost of living. Ahh!! I may have to find a roommate or else live in a 1 bedroom, which is FINE, but I have 2 beds, so I'd have to get storage for my extra bed. Small problem. And I wanted to have extra space for guests, which I wouldn't have in a 1 bedroom. I guess now isn't about what I WANT but what I can AFFORD. And maybe my salary will be enough for me to get a 2 bedroom. Or maybe the place I move will have more options....who says I'll for sure be in Spokane!

On the flip side, it feels good to have an idea of where I could live if I'm here. I also have made some good major progress on my packing. I have now packed all of my books (about 11 boxes worth...and that's after I sorted out what I'm selling to Auntie's and the ones I'll work on reading this summer). I also have replaced all of the knobs on my kitchen cabinets to the original gold ones. My next step is to tackle more of my kitchen so those drawers and cabinets get emptied (I'm about halfway but have exactly 38 cabinets in there to empty...which I know because I had to put back 38 knobs).

No news on jobs. Last week, I got a rejection letter from WSU Vancouver for the Student Involvement Coordinator. I didn't really want the job or feel qualified, so I think that's ok, though it would have been nice to work only 5 minutes from Bill and Joy! My friend Dayna said she used to hang her rejections on her door, so I have hung the letter on my fridge and will add any others I may receive. :)

OK, off to do a little more packing or reading. That's pretty much what I do every day!

No comments: