Friday, March 03, 2006

long week, the Oscars are near!

This has been a long week. Counting the 2 hours I was at work Saturday helping to set up for art exhibit, I think I worked 50 hours. 20 of them were in the last 2 days, with no lunch break. I'm tired. And Tim better not have a funeral or anger management training to go to during next month's rent week like he has the last two months. Good thing I no longer fully hate my job. Now I give it a B (unless it's rent week or the internet is down...then it's a C-. I spent about 5 hours this week just talking to tenants about their internet being down, why it was down, when it would be up, how to help them, etc. etc. Ugh!!).

Enough complaining. So yesterday we had a mandatory all-company meeting. I thought it was because it's employee appreciation month. Which by the way I totally dropped the ball on. I was supposed to make a sign about an event, but I haven't had any time to do it. Anyway, I thought it was a surprise mandatory party or something until our head cleaner said she was told "if someone has the day off or is sick, they have to come in for the meeting." And then when my manager who is "in" on everything didn't know what was up, I got scared. So, the big reason for us to meet was for the CEO to tell us some big news ASAP before it became gossip. Here it is: For about 30 years, we have been providing all of the housing for Portland State. A few years back, PSU decided they want to start doing their own housing, so we were getting "the boot". So we were on a 5-year plan to be phased out. In that plan, there was a stipulation that we or they could cancel the plan with 12-months notice (meaning the deal is off and we're outta there). Well, PSU cancelled on 2/28. Which means in a year, we will not be doing any PSU housing. Which means we have to find other income and work for about half of our company. The CEO told us a year can be long and short, and she's working to find new business for us.

So who knows what my future holds. It's easy to feel removed and not be concerned because I don't work in one of the on-campus housing buildings, but really, we're all in this thing, whether we work on the PSU campus or not. Who knows. I'm hopeful that all will be fine for everyone. But it sure is tiring to think about, especially when you have worked 50 hours! :)

Good thing 2 of the 3 friends I have in Portland are coming to my apartment Sunday to watch the Oscars. All will be right in the world if we are dishing and critiquing the fashion and if Joy, as always, beats the rest of us by guessing the most winners. And that is all I need to be happy right now

No comments: