Wednesday, May 06, 2009

locally-owned

before i blog, a quick "shout out" to kirsten and colin, geo metro owners. i think you guys should challenge my dad to a race for pink slips (a la grease) to see who wins. :)

tonight i went to my favorite vegetarian restaurant in town, the bay leaf on division and 50th-ish. i was sad to see that of the 20-ish tables, there were only 3 tables with customers at them......the rest were empty. wha?? the bay leaf food is tasty asian goodness! i am worried that the kind owners will go out of business, so i am going to commit to stopping in for dinner on the way home from work every few weeks to do my part in keeping a local business running. i do the same by purchasing an americano every day at kobos, the coffee shop across the street from my office at work. i'm not perfect (i do still shop at fred meyer and target), but every little bit counts, right?

*sidenote: thanks to kimmy, i tried something new on the menu. in fact 2 new things. both were eggplant dishes and both were ooh la la.

what local businesses do you support in your community? i realize some of my frugal friends don't like to spend money, but i'd encourage you to find ways to give money to your community and your local small business owners when you do spend. sometimes it's actually a good thing to spend money. my dad, and all other small business owners, thank you.

in closing, which of my portland friends wants to join me at the bay leaf, and when should we go?

2 comments:

Kate said...

I will go! I've actually never been (shame) and I now live <10 blocks away!

Anonymous said...

I'd try it if I lived in Portland, (but Dad....don't think so!!) Next time we visit I'd be interested in going there. And i agree with you about "locally owned"!! M O M