Monday, May 04, 2009

livin' in the hood

in college, the days when tammy said i was "livin' in the hood" with my green day t-shirts, my malcolm x glasses, and my attempts to dye my hair blue with rit dye, i was so creative and in tune with my emotions. i loved my life and i loved being weird and expressing outwardly what i was feeling on the inside.

cut to me today: corporate job, sitting at a desk all day, staring at outlook and dialing numbers over and over on my cisco phone, coaching as "coach-bot" with some moments of creativity as i create training stuff. this is not where i thought i'd be 10+ years later. with my re-corporatization over the last 3 years (i did a brief stint at "wells fargo e.f.s" right after college), i have become terribly out of tune with my emotions and stress, just working away each day creating those coaching call widgits (that was a reference to dr. staggers' horrid u.s. history class, if you usf-ers can recall).

my creative self has nearly died. and now i am pulling out the creativity defibrillator and restarting it. i've been carrying around the book "the artists way" for several years, after "stealing" it from warren hall when we cleaned out the storage rooms one year. this week i finally started the 12-week process of rediscovering my creative self through daily "morning pages" and weekly "artist dates".

warning: this could lead to more blogging, some painting, pushing the dress code envelope at work, creating music in "garage band" on my computer (thanks, jim, for the introduction), more mismatched sock / shoe combos, new crazy glasses, more random creations from bryan ko's old business cards, more extended ellipses and CAPITAL LETTERS when i blog or post on facebook. WHO KNOWS. the sky is the limit.

more to come..................!!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always love reading your blog! Nice to see you back on here. :) Colin owns a GEO metro! And my he drives really slow! That made me laugh!!!!!
Kirsten (Hyatt) Brue

Rev. Tammy said...

Bring it on sister! Go camp out "in the hood" for a while and let the creativity roll!