Monday, September 19, 2005

what is up

The title of this blog should be read like Chandler in an episode of Friends: "hey, man, what is up?" all dry and monotone. :)

As my brother would say, Anywho, there's nothing really exciting happening in my life right now. I have applied for about 10 jobs since I've moved. About 5 of them were with Wells Fargo. I've only gotten a closure response on one (which was a "no", but it was one I wasn't really qualified for that I applied for anyway) and several others haven't closed yet so I hope to hear in October if they're on the ball. The good news is that I have about 4 or 5 more jobs I think I'll apply for this week, and the other good news is that there are actually a lot of higher ed openings that have some potential. A few of them are part-time, but part time can get me the specific experience I need in advising or disabilities coordination or whatever. The sad thing is that I have done both of these jobs before, but since my job title was "Student Services Associate", I don't think they understand I've really got the experience...even though I say it in my cover letter and resume. Ugh!

So my financial advice is for everyone to listen to the pro's who say "have enough money saved to pay for 6 months of your bills". It is so very true. Unemployment doesn't go away fast.

Last week, I discovered a HobbyLobby-like store called "Craft Warehouse" thanks to Joy. And they were having a great sale, and I got about $90 worth of yarn for $9. Yes, NINE DOLLARS. For 8 rolls of yarn. It was fun frilly stuff, too, not the cheap stuff. So that gives me more projects to work on during my sabbatical days. I have been learning to knit socks like my friend Lara, who inspired me. I am thinking of trying a sweater next, which will be hard but fun.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy knitting!! Sounds like you found a deal on yarn....always fun to find a good bargain. You'll probably become a pro on finding good sales, etc. through this "sabbatical" time. And there's also time to get better acquainted with your new city. Enjoy your time off. MOM